SOU, RCC collaborate in regional “Innovation Jam”
Participants will form teams and invent solutions to “some of the region’s most pressing problems,” including sustainability and environmentalism, in an Innovation Jam on Saturday that features SOU and RCC students, and is overseen by business leaders, innovators and educators from around Oregon.
The event, co-hosted by Invent Oregon, is a regional collegiate competition that engages entrepreneurial students in all-day brainstorming sessions. The southern Oregon event will be from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at RCC’s Table Rock Campus in White City.
Abigail Van Gelder, executive director of Invent Oregon, said students from SOU’s Design Thinking and Creative Entrepreneurship courses will bring “the multi-disciplinary communication and collaboration skills needed to launch and scale a 21st-century startup.” Students from RCC’s industrial technology program will provide “expertise in tools, technology and manufacturing,” she said.
Students will work on prototypes through the day, with a keynote address, final pitches, feedback from local mentors and advisors and networking open to the public starting at 4 p.m. Advisors will provide input, using design-thinking guidelines and techniques.
“This is the only workshop of its kind being hosted by Invent Oregon this year,” Van Gelder said. “We are working with RCC and SOU to pilot new ways to serve innovation students across the state outside of the channel of having a team that represents their university at the Invent Oregon Collegiate Challenge.
“We look forward to taking this workshop across the state to other partner schools next year.”
The SOU-RCC partnership in the Innovation Jam is the result of collaboration between Marshall Doak, director of SOU’s Small Business Development Center, and Kim Freeze, RCC’s Dean of Science, Art and Technology.
The event will include a catered breakfast and lunch for registered participants.
RCC’s Table Rock Campus in White City, Oregon
7800 Pacific Ave, White City, OR 97503
- 8:30am — 9:00am: Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00am — 10:00am: Kickoff and Initial Instructions
- 10:00am — 10:30am: Design Thinking Module
- 10:30am — 11:30am: Problem Statement Introductions and Customer Interviews
- 11:30am — 1:30pm: Mentor Guided Team Session
- 12:00pm: Lunch Delivered
- 1:30pm — 2:00pm: Pitch Design Module
- 2:00pm — 3:00pm: Pitch Design
- 2:30pm — 3:30pm: Pitch Coaching Session
- 3:00pm — 4:00pm: Final Presentation Prep
- 4:00pm — 5:30pm: Guest Speaker, Pitch for the Judges and Awards
- Erik Palmer, Southern Oregon University: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kim Freeze, Rogue Community College: KFreeze@roguecc.edu
- Abigail Van Gelder, Invent Oregon: email@example.com
Story by Angelina Caldera, SOU Marketing and Communications student writer