Raiders Rising, SOU Featured Stories
Raiders Rising is a series of in-depth feature stories about SOU students and recent alumni who have risen to academic, career or personal challenges in spectacular ways.
Connect these dots: Fidel Castro and the Mariel boatlift. The Miami Dolphins and that city’s Little Havana neighborhood. The Everglades, alligators, pythons and a fossilized tooth. Intellectual curiosity. Southern Oregon University. Those are waypoints on the road map of Frank Rodriguez’s life. He is anchored to and guided by them even as he takes a giant step toward the career that, until recently, he would have lacked the audacity to so much as dream about – paleontologist and research scientist.
It’s fitting that Sachta Bakshi was visiting her grandparents in Ashland when she fell in love with Southern Oregon University. It’s always been a family affair. She was a 10th-grader in India at the time, and a chance visit to campus led her to the Admissions Office, SAT tests a few days later and then the intriguing prospect of a student job in SOU’s International Programs office. What followed has become legend in the university’s School of Business.
Search SOU News
- SOU leaders to honor alumnus and friends of the university in Guanajuato ceremonyAugust 4, 2022 - 10:17 am
- SOU president answers students in podcast episode #4July 26, 2022 - 10:18 am
- Master of Theatre Studies program wraps up for far-flung participantsJuly 26, 2022 - 8:35 am
- Southern Exposure goes biweekly for summerJuly 12, 2022 - 3:03 pm
- Central Point district signs college access agreement with SOUJuly 12, 2022 - 1:51 pm
- New SOU program offers degree in Sustainable Tourism ManagementJuly 1, 2022 - 9:40 am
- SOU Laboratory of Anthropology project receives prestigious national awardJune 21, 2022 - 1:55 pm
- SOU offers new degree in Music Industry and Production for 2022-23June 21, 2022 - 11:28 am
- Digital Cinema capstone project breaks barriers at SOUJune 10, 2022 - 3:30 pm
- Two SOU students awarded prestigious Gilman Scholarships for study abroadJune 8, 2022 - 2:33 pm
- SOU Research Center survey to help guide Ashland budget decisionsJune 7, 2022 - 12:38 pm
- SOU and Southern Oregon Goodwill Industries continue move-out partnershipJune 7, 2022 - 12:19 pm