Raiders Rising, SOU Featured Stories
Raiders Rising is a series of in-depth feature stories about SOU students and recent alumni who have risen to academic, career or personal challenges in spectacular ways.
Connect these dots: Fidel Castro and the Mariel boatlift. The Miami Dolphins and that city’s Little Havana neighborhood. The Everglades, alligators, pythons and a fossilized tooth. Intellectual curiosity. Southern Oregon University. Those are waypoints on the road map of Frank Rodriguez’s life. He is anchored to and guided by them even as he takes a giant step toward the career that, until recently, he would have lacked the audacity to so much as dream about – paleontologist and research scientist.
It’s fitting that Sachta Bakshi was visiting her grandparents in Ashland when she fell in love with Southern Oregon University. It’s always been a family affair. She was a 10th-grader in India at the time, and a chance visit to campus led her to the Admissions Office, SAT tests a few days later and then the intriguing prospect of a student job in SOU’s International Programs office. What followed has become legend in the university’s School of Business.
Search SOU News
- Experiences, beliefs and opinions sampled in ongoing “campus climate” studyMay 9, 2022 - 4:14 pm
- Ashland district is second in a week to sign college access agreement with SOUMay 7, 2022 - 9:10 am
- Medford district, SOU sign agreement to increase college accessMay 3, 2022 - 12:47 pm
- Raider Up: President’s podcast, episode 2May 3, 2022 - 12:23 pm
- SOU Board of Trustees approves low tuition rate increase for second year in a rowApril 22, 2022 - 3:08 pm
- Arbor Day of Service celebrates SOU’s Tree Campus USA certificationApril 19, 2022 - 3:21 pm
- Organized Rhythm Duo to combine organ and percussion in SOU concertApril 19, 2022 - 2:42 pm
- SOU Earth Month features Earth Day Extravaganza and moreApril 11, 2022 - 2:54 pm
- SOU and faculty union agree to four-year contractApril 11, 2022 - 8:49 am
- SOU woodwinds to perform “Circusmuziek” featuring whimsical, colorful melodiesApril 11, 2022 - 7:24 am
- Guanajuato students visit SOU for collaborative business development projectApril 7, 2022 - 11:40 am
- The Farm at SOU is gearing up for the 2022 growing seasonApril 5, 2022 - 6:08 am