Raiders Rising, SOU Featured Stories
Raiders Rising is a series of in-depth feature stories about SOU students and recent alumni who have risen to academic, career or personal challenges in spectacular ways.
Connect these dots: Fidel Castro and the Mariel boatlift. The Miami Dolphins and that city’s Little Havana neighborhood. The Everglades, alligators, pythons and a fossilized tooth. Intellectual curiosity. Southern Oregon University. Those are waypoints on the road map of Frank Rodriguez’s life. He is anchored to and guided by them even as he takes a giant step toward the career that, until recently, he would have lacked the audacity to so much as dream about – paleontologist and research scientist.
It’s fitting that Sachta Bakshi was visiting her grandparents in Ashland when she fell in love with Southern Oregon University. It’s always been a family affair. She was a 10th-grader in India at the time, and a chance visit to campus led her to the Admissions Office, SAT tests a few days later and then the intriguing prospect of a student job in SOU’s International Programs office. What followed has become legend in the university’s School of Business.
Search SOU News
- SOU achieves “age-friendly university” statusOctober 3, 2023 - 9:37 am
- Current chair and university employee appointed to new terms on SOU boardOctober 2, 2023 - 8:52 am
- Indigenous Peoples Day to be observed at SOUOctober 2, 2023 - 8:30 am
- Collaborative events to commemorate historic “Tragedy at Tunnel 13”September 27, 2023 - 9:46 am
- SOU’s expanded Career Connections office opens new space and opportunitiesSeptember 25, 2023 - 3:26 pm
- Friends of Hannon Library announces speakers lineupSeptember 18, 2023 - 11:45 am
- New solar arrays move SOU toward energy self-sufficiencySeptember 8, 2023 - 9:50 am
- SOU teacher preparation programs receive national accreditationSeptember 1, 2023 - 11:20 am
- SOU on Campus Pride’s “Best of the Best” list for 11th yearAugust 28, 2023 - 4:06 pm
- The convivial artist: engaged teaching & art with Michael ParkerAugust 7, 2023 - 12:32 pm
- Digital Cinema at SOU offers options for allAugust 7, 2023 - 12:05 pm
- SOU opens indoor track for smoke respiteJuly 20, 2023 - 4:12 pm