(Ashland, Ore.) – International Week 2013 at Southern Oregon University kicks off at noon, Monday, April 29, with the traditional parade through campus by international students in their national outfits. The students walk from the Cascade Housing Complex down Raider Way to the Stevenson Union. A free food fair from around the world follows in the Courtyard.
Another highlight of the week is the International Show on Thursday evening at 6:30 p.m. in the Music Recital Hall. It features traditional dance and music performances by SOU international students from around the world.
The annual International Week is sponsored by the SOU International Students Association (ISA). The ISA represents SOU’s 170 international students, who represent approximately forty nations. The SOU Office of International Programs and the ISA welcome everyone to all the free events held throughout the week.
Monday, April 29
- Kick off parade, Noon, Raider Way
- Food Fair, 12:20 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., Stevenson Union Courtyard
- Korean Lantern Festival, 7:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Students parade from the Cascade Housing Complex to the Stevenson Union Courtyard carrying handmade lanterns to celebrate Buddha’s birthday.
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
- Japanese Girl Festival, Noon – 2:00 p.m., Stevenson Union Arena. Traditional celebration for Japanese girls, featuring food, music, and the opportunity to try on traditional Japanese outfits and have your picture taken.
- India Color Festival, 3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., Stevenson Union Courtyard. The Holi Festival commemorates the victory of good over evil. Everyone will get covered in colored powder and water, so please dress accordingly.
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
- International Bazaar, Noon to 4:00 p.m., Rogue River Room of Stevenson Union. Souvenirs, clothing, jewelry, and other items from around the world available to purchase. More free food.
Thursday, May 2, 2013
- International Show, 6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Music Recital Hall. Talent show featuring international students. Singing, dancing, a fashion show, and more.